ESMERALDA’S TANGO & TAPAS PRESENTS…
MEET THE MUSIC…..
We love it….dance to it countless hours every week…hum it… can’t get it out of our minds… la musica de tango!
- Have you ever danced to something and couldn’t wait to ask the dj what it was?
- Do you find yourself repeatedly looking over the dj’s shoulder?
- Does a song roll around in your mind and you wish you knew its name?
- Want to be a better dancer?
- Then this informal TANGO MUSIC SALON is for you!
& all their friends – the great musicians and orchestras of tango - at our new MEET THE MUSIC SALON - starting Sunday, March 11th and Sunday, March 18th , in the BACK ROOM of Esmeralda’s Tango and Tapas at Session 73, NYC (73rd & 1st Ave.).
PLEASE NOTE: For those who want to just dance, dance, dance, fear not, the music & dancing will continue as usual in the front area, starting at 7;30p without interruption while these sessions go on in the back room.!! , Dancing in the Back Room will commence as usual when the Meet the Music salon ends at 8:30p.
Introduced by DJ Ilene (De Woodstock) Marder and a group of knowledgeable tango music aficionados, collectors and dancers (stay tuned for list of participants in first week), participants will explore the differences between the key orchestras, with emphasis on how each orchestra’s unique style affects our dancing and often, with whom we dance! We’ll talk, discuss, listen and dance as we delve deeper into the heart and soul of tango and the unique, supremely talented musicians who left us this very special legacy.
These sessions are a way for those of us who are devoted to the music to share with others and give back to the community whatever knowledge we might have. This is not an academic course, i.e. Tango Music 101- it's a practical, fun way for participants to begin to learn to identify the orchestras and discover new insights into this music we love so much.
So join us and explore the infinite, beautiful and powerful world of la musica de tango. We promise…you’ll be a better dancer for it… !
WHEN: SUNDAYS, MARCH 11TH & 18TH… (if you love ‘em we’ll do these salons at twice a month, at least!)
WHERE: THE BACK ROOM, AT ESMERALDA’S TANGO AND TAPAS MILONGA, SESSION 73, (73RD ST & 1ST AVE., NYC). Dancing will continue as usual in the front room.
COST: Included in the $10. price of the milonga admission! -Then stay to enjoy Esmeralda’s Milonga, hosted by the great Lucille Krasne and dance to many of these “orquestas tipicas” until 11:30 or later!!!!
TOPIC FOR SUNDAY MARCH 11TH: OVERVIEW
* An overview of the styles of the main orchestras- those used regularly in milongas worldwide and acknowledged to be the best music for social dancing i.e. Di Sarli, D’Arienzo, Canaro, Donato, Tanturi, Calo, Biagi, Laurenz, Troilo, Fresedo, Pugliese… (and let’s not forget De Caro, Lomuto, Carabelli & Tipica Victor, and other fabulous “old guard” maestros…)
i.e. We will listen to signature tunes by each major orchestra to recognize the qualities that make each distinctly unique; We will discuss, listen and dance to tracks of the same song covered by a variety of orchestras, as a tool to discover often subtle differences in orchestral style and approach; We’ll also talk about our ‘personal favorites -’ why we like dancing to specific orchestras and what it tells us about our own dancing.
TOPIC FOR SUNDAY MARCH 18TH: CHANGING IN TIME
* Classic tango orchestra’s were vital, living, creative entities that kept evolving over time. Through deep listening, discussion and dancing, we’ll explore the evolution of key orchestras and discover how sound, tempo and arrangements changed particularly over the ‘30’, ‘40’s and ‘50’s, by comparing recordings from the same orchestra through those decades.
*** Sessions will include background materials and web addresses where more detailed info on tango music can be found; CD’s of Recordings used for illustration purposes will also be available. ~~
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ACT AS AN "INTRODUCER" AND SHARE YOUR MUSICAL KNOWLEDGE AND MATERIALS, CONTACT ILENE MARDER, (845) 246-1122.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING THE SALON AS A PARTICIPANT...JUST COME TO ESMERALDA'S MILONGA AT SESSION 73,
73rd Street & first avenue NYC
SUNDAY, MARCH 11TH @ 7:30PM.
LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU!